Requirements to apply to the Communication/MSHRM Combined Degree Program
- Completion of 114 credit hours of coursework by the end of their junior year (entry prior to Fall 2014) or completion of 108 credit hours of coursework (entry Fall 2014 and after), including the required major courses identified in their plan of study
- Minimum 3.7 GPA (3.5 GPA with strong leadership and internship experience will be considered)
- Completion of at least one professional internship
- Demonstration of leadership potential through extra-curricular activities
- Prior to applying students are required to contact Josh Boyd, Associate Professor, Brian Lamb School of Communication and Pam Deutsch, Continuing Lecturer
Students are required to schedule an interview with the Purdue MBA and MS Program Admissions Office so their readiness to enter master-level coursework can be ascertained. After interviews, students will be counseled by the Purdue MBA and MS Programs Admissions Staff with recommendations about the potential viability of their application. The interview step is designed to guide students and help them with decision-making about the program. Students who are encouraged to apply will complete the Graduate School application in early spring of their junior year and will receive notification of their admission decision with time to make decisions and plans for the coming year.
Communications students entering the Communications/MSHRM Combined Degree Program will be required to take 48 credit hours of master’s level courses once they enter the Communication/MSHRM Combined Degree Program; any master’s level courses completed prior to their enrollment in the Communications/MSHRM Combined Degree Program cannot be used to meet course requirements of the Communication/MSHRM Combined Degree Program.
During the first year in the Communication/MSHRM Combined Degree Program, students will be required to complete at least 15 credit hours of coursework in the fall semester and at least 15 credit hours in the spring semester. After two semesters in the Communication/MSHRM Combined Degree Program, they must have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours, of which 12 credit hours will be used to fulfill the requirements of the undergraduate degree. The typical student would, therefore, receive his or her B.S. degree in December after the first semester in the Communication/MSHRM Combined Degree Program.