Looking for a high-caliber surgeon may be easier than previously thought. Critics of online rating platforms have stated that online physicians’ ratings are nothing more than a popularity contest, but a new study by Susan Lu, a professor at the Purdue University Krannert School of Management, suggests that the time-honored word-of-mouth method for finding quality health care may hold up after all.
A Bipartisan Solution to Fix The Electoral College
The Electoral College has steadfastly withstood fierce opposition: over 700 proposals have been introduced in Congress to abolish or reform the Electoral College, a compact of states was formed to bypass it, and recent polls show that more than half of Americans oppose it. Countless presidents and senators have even called for its demise, most notably Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at a CNN town hall last week.There is widespread agreement that the Electoral College is severely flawed; then why is it so resilient?
Do you check your work email from home during off hours and weekends? Do you eat lunch at your desk or use break time to answer work or personal emails or texts? Are you able to detach from job responsibilities, while on vacation, or do connect remotely? Many of us are “overworking” more than is necessary to be effective in our jobs, says work-life balance expert Ellen Ernst Kossek, the Basil S. Turner Professor of Management at Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management and research director of the Susan Bulkeley Butler Center for Leadership Excellence.
“Digital assistants are going to have a lot of say in influencing the purchases people make, and the data you feed into AI is going to dictate the kind of suggestions these systems are going to offer to people,” associate professor Mohammad Rahman says. “If there is a lot of bias in training these AI solutions, we’re going to see a lot of bias in terms of consumption. A lot of these biases we have – the neighborhoods where we choose to eat or stop for gas – could be systematically injected into our preferences in a much bolder way than today.”
- Apr 18Register for Kelley-Krannert Undergraduate Case Competition by April 24Registration for the Fall 2019 Kelley-Krannert Undergraduate Case Competition is now open! Register your team by April 24th to be considered.
- Apr 18PURCE Economic Ideas ForumPURCE's annual Economic Ideas Forum showcases faculty and their research and, this year, brings to campus U.S. trade policy expert Dr. Doug Irwin.
- Apr 18PURCE Economic Ideas Forum Trade Policy and Negotiations Strategy Fireside ChatPurdue University Research Center in Economics presents a Fireside Chat with Doug Irwin.
- Apr 19Krannert Executive Forum - Greg Kiefer, Kiefer Consulting, Inc.The Krannert Executive Forum is a management class (MGMT 40100) that features top-level executives and community leaders sharing their experiences with students and is free and open to the public as seating permits.
- Apr 23What is the Scholarship of Engagament?A free workshop for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars on understanding and implementing engagement programming will be held on April 23, 2019. Online registration is required; lunch will be provided.
- Apr 24Note Change of Venue Chaired Faculty Seminar Series: A CelebrationChaired Faculty Seminar Series: A Celebration. Please join us as Professor Manu Kalwani presents, "Long-Term Manufacturer-Supplier Relationships: Do They Pay Off for Supplier Firms" on April 24 at 3:00 pm in Krannert Center Room 108
- Apr 26Krannert Executive Forum - ReviewThe Krannert Executive Forum is a management class (MGMT 40100) that features top-level executives and community leaders sharing their experiences with students and is free and open to the public as seating permits.
- Apr 262019 MIS & Analytics Big 10 Research ConferenceJoin us for the 2019 MIS & Analytics Big 10 Research Conference being held April 26 and 27, 2019 on the Purdue University Campus in West Lafayette, Indiana.