Do you check your work email from home during off hours and weekends? Do you eat lunch at your desk or use break time to answer work or personal emails or texts? Are you able to detach from job responsibilities, while on vacation, or do connect remotely? Many of us are “overworking” more than is necessary to be effective in our jobs, says work-life balance expert Ellen Ernst Kossek, the Basil S. Turner Professor of Management at Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management and research director of the Susan Bulkeley Butler Center for Leadership Excellence.
“Digital assistants are going to have a lot of say in influencing the purchases people make, and the data you feed into AI is going to dictate the kind of suggestions these systems are going to offer to people,” associate professor Mohammad Rahman says. “If there is a lot of bias in training these AI solutions, we’re going to see a lot of bias in terms of consumption. A lot of these biases we have – the neighborhoods where we choose to eat or stop for gas – could be systematically injected into our preferences in a much bolder way than today.”
Management Spring Seminar Series 2019
SPEAKER: David Simchi-Levi, Professor of Engineering Systems, MIT
TITLE: Data-Driven Research in Revenue Management
DATE/TIME: March 1, 2019, 10:00-11:30am
LOCATION: KCTR 124
HOST: Data Analytics Research and Teaching Committee
What giant leaps will the next 150 years bring as Purdue continues its drive to meet the world's future challenges? David Hummels, Dr. Samuel R. Allen Dean of the Krannert School of Management, shares his thoughts on the future of the school over the next 150 years.
- Feb 26Emerging Employers Career Fair 2019The Emerging Employers Career Fair is for start-up or second stage companies with 130 or fewer employees seeking interns or full-time hires. The fair is Tuesday, Feb. 26 from 1:00pm - 4:00pm in the PMU South Ballroom. The company list is available on myCCO. Students in all majors are welcome to attend the event.
- Feb 26Communication and Presentation Tips for Winning at Case Competitions WorkshopCase Presentation Workshop
- Mar 1Management Spring Seminar Series 2019The Data Analytics Research and Teaching Committee will be hosting a seminar with David Simchi-Levi.
- Mar 1Krannert Executive Forum - Tom Morales, Morales Group Inc.The Krannert Executive Forum is a management class (MGMT 40100) that features top-level executives and community leaders sharing their experiences with students and is free and open to the public as seating permits.
- Mar 4Global WeekGlobal Week - No Krannert Masters Courses
- Mar 5Krannert/Discovery Park Social Hour on March 5Please join us for our next Discovery Park Social Hour on Tuesday, March 5th. The DP Social Hour, which will be hosted jointly with the Krannert School of Management, is open to the entire campus. Future events will be hosted with other colleges and schools across campus.
- Mar 8Krannert Executive Forum - Tiffany Hickerson, A. T. KearneyThe Krannert Executive Forum is a management class (MGMT 40100) that features top-level executives and community leaders sharing their experiences with students and is free and open to the public as seating permits.
- Mar 11Spring BreakSpring Break - No Classes