Discover How Women are Excelling in Business
Increasing the pipeline of young women in leadership roles is a key strategic goal to achieve a gender balance at all levels of corporate business. Studies have shown that a young woman’s career choice is often influenced by perceptions that occur early in life. The Jane Brock-Wilson Women in Management Center believes that it is important to provide pre-college learning experiences that emphasize empowerment and information about the wide range of opportunities available with a degree in business. With these objectives in mind, a one-day Emerging Leaders Retreat launched on October 16, 2017 with 24 participants. Due to the success of the pilot program, a multi-day summer camp was developed.
Comprised of thirty-nine young women from six states and one from Dubai, The Emerging Leaders' Retreat inaugural event took place July 8-12, 2018 on Purdue University's West Lafayette Campus. The retreat opened the minds of the participants to different possibilities and variety of disciplines that a business major can provide as a career choice. It also brought an awareness to light about issues young women professionals often face and offered suggestions on how to overcome obstacles rooted in confidence, negotiation and gender empowerment struggles. Living on campus in a residence hall with eight Krannert students as counselors, gave the participants a glimpse of life as a college student.
- “While I was able to be exposed to a broad spectrum of business topics, I can honestly say that the focus on gender empowerment really made an impact. The tools I learned to deal with gender adversity in the workplace have empowered me and have given me more confidence for the future.”
- “I felt so much more confident in myself and the knowledge I have! It (the retreat) also inspired me to look into studying business in college while being empowered by my gender! It was fascinating to explore.”
- “Being part of that camp, meeting all of those wonderful young ladies, and being able to learn so much more about women in business had been really inspiring to me! I feel so much more motivated to pursue a career in business and become a more confident version of myself.”
The Emerging Leaders Retreat is open to students who are rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors. Selection will be based on the following criteria
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- Extracurricular activity involvement
- Letter of recommendation
Summer 2019 Session Dates
- July 7 - 12, 2019