Dean and Professor of Economics
Ph.D., Economics, University of Michigan
M.A., Economics, University of Michigan
B.A. Economics and Political Science, University of Colorado
- Hummels, D., Munch, J, & Xiang, C. (2018). Offshoring and Labor Markets. Journal of Economic Literature, vol. forthcoming
- Hummels, David; Lee, Kwan Yong (2018). The Income Elasticity of Import Demand: Micro Evidence and an Application. Journal of International Economics, vol. forthcoming
- Hummels, D., Jorgensen, R, Munch, J, & Xiang, C (2014). The Wage Effects of Offshoring: Evidence from Danish Matched Worker-Firm Data. American Economic Review, vol. 104 (6), 1597-1629.
- Hummels, D. and Schaur, G. (2013). Time as a Trade Barrier. American Economic Review, vol. 103 2935-59.
- Hummels, D, Munch, J, & Xiang, C (2013). Education and Labor Market Policies in an Offshoring Global Economy. Nordic Economic Policy Review, 75-98.
- Cristea, A., Hummels, D., Puzzello, L., and Avetisyan, M. (2013). Trade and the Greenhouse Gas Emissions from International Freight Transport. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 65 153-173.
- Hummels, D., Munch,J., Skipper,L., Xiang C. (2012). Offshoring, Transition and Training: Evidence from Danish Matched Worker Firm Data. American Economic Review P&P, vol. 102 424-428.
- Hummels, David and Schaur, Georg (2010). Hedging Price Volatility Using Fast Transport. Journal of International Economics, vol. 82 15-25.
- Choi, Yo Chul, Hummels, David and Xiang, Chong (2009). Explaining Import Quality: The Role of the Income Distribution. Journal of International Economics, vol. 77 265-275.
- Hummels, D & Lugovskyy, V. (2009). International Pricing in a Generalized Model of Ideal Variety. Journal of Money Credit and Banking, vol. 41 (777), 3-33.
- Hummels, David, Lugovskyy,Volodymyr and Skiba, Alexandre (2009). The Trade Reducing Effects of Market Power in International Shipping. Journal of Development Economics, vol. 89 84-97.
- Hillberry, R. & Hummels, D. (2008). Trade Responses to Geographic Frictions: A Decomposition Using MicroData. European Economic Review, (52), 557-550.
- Hummels, David (2007). International Transportation Costs and Trade In the Second Era of Globalization. Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 21 131-154.
- Hertel T, Hummels D, Ivanic M, et al. (2007). How Confident Can We be of CGE-Based Assessments of Free Trade Agreements?. Economic Modelling, vol. 4 (24), 611-635.
- Hummels, D., & Lugovskyy, V (2006). Are Matched Partner Trade Statistics Usable Measures of Transportation Costs?. Review of International Economics, vol. 14 (1),
- Hummels, D., & Klenow, P. (2005). The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports. American Economic Review, vol. 95 (3), 704-723.
- Hummels, D., & Skiba, A. (2004). Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture. Journal of Political Economy, vol. 112 (6), 1384-1402.
- Haveman, J., & Hummels, D. (2004). Alternative Hypotheses and the Volume of Trade: The Gravity Equation and the Extent of Specialization. Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 37 (1), 199-218.
- Hummels, D. (2004). Review of Free Trade Under Fire (by Douglas Irwin). Journal of Economic Literature, 521-522.
- Hillberry, R., & Hummels, D. (2002). Intra-National Home Bias: Some Explanations. Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 85 (4), 1089-1092.
- Hummels, D. (2002). Review of Globalization and the Theory of Input Trade (by Ron Jones). Journal of International Economics, Vol 57, 491-493.
- Hummels, D. (2002). Review of Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy (by Arndt and Kierzkowski). Journal of Economic Georgraphy, Vol 2, 368-369.
- Hummels, D., Ishii, J., & Yi, K. (2001). The Nature and Growth of Vertical Specialization in World Trade. Journal of International Economics, vol. 54 (1), 75-96.
- Hummels, D., Rapaport, D., & Yi, K. (1998). Vertical Specialization and the Changing Nature of World Trade. Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York. 79-99.
- Hummels, D., & Haveman, J. (1998). Trade Creation and Trade Diversion: New Empirical Results. Journal of Transnational Management Development, vol. 3 57-72.
- Hummels, D., & Levinsohn, J. (1995). Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence. Quarterly Journal of Economics, Worth, N. Y.. vol. 110 (3), 799-836.
- Hummels, D., & Stern, R. (1994). Evolving Patterns of North American Merchandise Trade and Foreign Direct Investment 1960-1990. World Economy, vol. 17 29-May.
- Hummels, D., & Brown-Kruse, J. (1993). Gender Effects in Laboratory Public Goods Contribution: Do Individuals Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is?. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, vol. 22 255-267.
- Hummels, D., & Levinsohn, J. (1993). Product Differentiation as a Source of Comparative Advantage. American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, vol. 83 445-449.
Purdue’s Krannert School of Management presented a public panel discussion sponsored by the Hugh and Judy Pence family that focused on interdisciplinary perspectives on early childhood development and a fireside chat with Nobel Laureate James Heckman as part of an Economic Ideas Forum in April that served as the inaugural event of the University’s recently renamed economic research center.
It may seem obvious to those who suffer the most, but a working paper issued by the National Bureau of Economic Research by Krannert economics professors Chong Xiang and David Hummels provides confirmation: Employees under prolonged workplace pressures face serious consequences to their health.
Phone: (765) 49-44366
Office: KRAN 122
Area(s) of Expertise
Offshoring, labor markets of the future, product differentiation, barriers to trade and the broader impacts of aviation, infrastructure, and trade facilitation on trade and economic development.