limited term lecturer fy
Chief Justice of Indiana
- Chief Justice of Indiana, appointed 2014
- Associate Justice, Indiana Supreme Court, appointed 2012
- Judge, Tippecanoe Superior Court 3, elected 1998, re-elected 2004 and 2010
- Dickson, Reiling, Teder and Withered, 1983-1997, associate and then named partner, Reiling, Teder, Withered and Rush, Lafayette, Indiana. Associate (1983- 1987), Partner (1987-1997)
- Loretta H. Rush, Law Office, 1997-1998, and Withered and Corrigan, 1998, attorney in general legal practice. Worked on closing cases and transitioning clients prior to taking the judicial bench
- Locke Reynolds Boyd & Weisell, Indianapolis, 1982, Summer Law Clerk-Civil Litigation
- Houston, Texas, 1981, Summer Law Clerk
- Grey, Seifert, Inc., New York City, Summer 1980, intern for Wall Street investment firm
- Community Legal Services, Indiana University, 1981-1983, Certified Legal Intern
- Indiana University Bloomington: Work Study Program, 1980-1983, taught Business Law correspondence course to inmates at Indiana Department of Correction
- Worked throughout both law school and undergraduate to fund education; jobs included washing dishes in dormitory cafeterias, delivering school buses, computer input of data in research in School of Family Studies, summer law clerkships and teaching correspondence courses at Indiana University
Contributions to legal journals or other legal publications:
- National Judicial Opioid Task Force, National Center for State Courts https://www.ncsc.org/Topics/Court-Management/Leadership-and-Change-Management/Opioids-and-the-Courts.aspx
- Author, Justice Robert D. Rucker: Let Freedom Ring, Indiana Law Review (2018; Volume 51, No. 1) https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/ilr/contents.cfm
- Indiana Judicial Center, Juvenile Judge's Benchbook for Delinquency, CHINS and Paternity, Committee (2000-2006): I worked on drafting and revising significant sections of these judicial resources that included summaries of Indiana Code, case law, best practices and sample court orders which were provided to trial court judges in all ninety-two (92) counties.
- Indiana New Judge Orientation Materials (2009-current): Provided training materials for new judges on CHINS, Termination of Parental Rights and Delinquency.
- Indiana Supreme Court (2009-2012): Prepared annual reports as Chair of Juvenile Justice Improvement Committee that were provided to all Indiana Judges at Annual Meeting.
- Contributing Author, Understanding Juvenile Delinquency in Tippecanoe County, White Paper, (2009).
- Contributing Author, Understanding CHINS in Tippecanoe County, White Paper, (2009).
- Fellow, Indiana Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Marion County Bar Association
- Tippecanoe County Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- NCJFCJ-National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- Indiana Judges Association
- Board of Directors, Conference of Chief Justices
- Indianapolis Bar Association Advanced Business Litigation Summit: 2018
- Indiana State Bar Association 4th Annual Litigation Symposium: Winning Your Case with the Written Word: 2018
- Owen County Bar Association Indiana Supreme Court Oral Argument and Tips in Practicing in Front of the Indiana Supreme Court: 2018
- Allen County Bar Association Indiana Supreme Court Initiatives: 2017
- Indianapolis Bar Association Women in the Law Judge Roundtable: 2017
- Indiana State Bar Association Judicial Independence, Impartiality & Access 2017
- Indianapolis Bar Association Bench Bar Conference: 2017, 2018
- Indiana Public Defender Council Annual Appellate Seminar: 2017
- St. Joseph County Professionalism and Civility CLE: 2016
- Attorney General's Criminal & Civil Justice Summit Addressing Mental Health & Addiction in the Justice System: 2016
- Indiana Judiciary Bicentennial Celebration: 2016
- Indiana Lawyer Practicing Law in Indiana Panel Discussion: 2015
- Indiana State Bar Association Annual Meeting Litigation Section Session: 2015
- Allen County Bar Association Advocacy in the Courtroom & the Boardroom: Women's
- Indianapolis Bar Association Women in the Judiciary Roundtable: 2015
- Indianapolis Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society: 2015
- Ratliff-Cox Inns of Court an Evening with Indiana Supreme Court Justice Loretta H. Rush: 2014
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Appellate Practice Primer: 2014
- Evansville Bar Association Annual Fall CLE Getaway: 2014
- Indiana Office of Court Services Annual Meeting of the Judicial Conference of Indiana: 2014, 2015
- Indiana Office of Court Services Annual Meeting of Juvenile Court Judicial Officers: 2014
- Indiana Department of Child Services Applied Professionalism: 2014
- Allen County Bench Bar Conference: 2014
- Marion County Prosecutors & Public Defenders Applied Professionalism for Newly Admitted Attorneys: 2013, 2015
- Indiana Association of Cities & Towns Municipal Law Seminar: 2013
- Indianapolis Bar Association Appellate Roundtable & Reception: 2013
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Applied Professionalism for Young Lawyers: 2013
- Indiana State Bar Leadership Development Academy: 2012-current
- Purdue University: 1990-1994, 2004-2008, Business Law and Law and Society, guest lecturer
- Ivy Tech: 2004-2012, Criminal Law, guest lecturer
- Lafayette Jefferson High School, Harrison High School, Happy Hollow Elementary School, McCutchen High School, Central Catholic Junior and Senior High School, West Lafayette Junior and Senior High School, Wainwright Middle School, 2000-2012: I am a regular speaker at Tippecanoe County schools regarding our court system and legal issues affecting children.
- I have taught/presented on numerous occasions at various Judicial Conferences. Some of the more recent presentations include:
- Annual Meeting for Juvenile Court Judicial Officers, 2012
- "Finding Solutions to Current Challenges in Juvenile Court" and "Court Performance Measures Requirement"
- Orientation for New Juvenile Court Judicial Officers, 2011
- "Practical Tips in handling CHINS cases"
- Annual Meeting for Juvenile Court Judicial Officers, 2011
- Moderator and presenter for "Drafting Court Orders" and "Legislative Update"
- Annual Meeting for Judicial Officers, 2010
- "Barriers to Permanency"
- Annual Meeting for Juvenile Court Judicial Officers, 2010
- "Recent Legislative Update" and "Juvenile Committee Updates"
- Orientation for New Juvenile Court Judicial Officers, 2009