Professor of Economics
Ph.D., Economics, University of Washington
M.A., Economics, University of California, Los Angeles
B.A., Economics, Occidental College
- Barron, J. Waddell, G. & Umbeck, J (2007). “Consumer and Competitor Reactions: Evidence from a Retail-Gasoline Field . International Journal of Industrial Organization,
- Barron, J., Taylor, B. & Umbeck, J. (2005). “Number of Sellers, Average Prices, and Price Dispersion,” . International Journal of Industrial Organization,
- Barron, J. Taylor, B. & Umbeck, J. (2004). “Will Open Supply Lower Retail Gasoline Prices. Contemporary Economic Issues.,
- Barron, J. Blanchard, K. & Umbeck, J. (2004). “An Economic Analysis of a Change in an Excise Tax,” . Journal of Economic Education,
- Barron, J., Blanchard, K. & Umbeck, J. (2002). An Economic Analysis of the Connecticut Excise Tax on Gasoline. Lundberg Letter,
- Barron, J. Taylor, B. & Umbeck, J., (2001). New Evidence on Price Discrimination and Retail Configuration. Applied Economic Letters,
- Barron, J. Taylor, B. & Umbeck, J. (2000). A Theory of Quality-Related Differences in Retail Margins: Why There is a 'Premium' on Premium Gasoline. Economic Inquiry,
- Barron, J. Staten, M. & Umbeck, J. (1992). Discounts for Cash in Retail Gasoline Marketing. Contemporary Policy Issues,
- Staten, M., Gilley, O. & Umbeck, J. (1991). Screening and Signaling in Credit Markets: A Theory of Direct vs. Indirect Lending. Economic Inquiry,
- Umbeck, J. (1989). Entry, Recoupment and Higher Prices: Irrelevance of High Market Shares in Predatory Pricing. Anti-Trust Law and Economics, vol. 21 (4-Mar),
- Staten, M. & Umbeck, J. (1989). Inefficiency: A Failure of Economists. Journal of Economic Education,
- Staten, M. & Umbeck, J. (1989). “Shipping the Good Students Out: The Effect of a fixed Charge on Student Enrollments” . Journal of Economic Education,
- Dunkelberg, W. Staten, M. & Umbeck, J. (1988). "Market Share/Market Power Revisited: A New Test for an Old Theory” . Journal of Health Economics,
- Staten, M. & Umbeck, J (1988). "Inefficiency, A Logical and Empirical Impossibility” . Social Science Review,
- McCarthy, P. & Umbeck, J. (1987). "Tanking Up While Tanking Up" . Regulation,
- Theroux, R., & Umbeck, J. (1987). The Economics of Drunk Driving Laws. Regulation, A.E.I..
- Staten, M, Dunkelberg, W. & Umbeck, J. (1987). Monopsony Power and Hospital Discounts: The Case of Blue Cross" . Journal of Health Economics,
- Staten, M. & Umbeck J (1986). "A Study of Signaling Behavior in Occupational Disease Claims" . Journal of Law and Economics, vol. 2 (29), 263-286.
- Barron, J. Loewenstein, M. & Umbeck, J. (1985). Predatory Pricing: The Case of the Retail Gasoline Market. Economic Inquiry, Contemporary Policy Issues,
- Barron, J. & Umbeck, J. (1984). "Divorcement of Retail Gasoline Marketing: A Forced Contractual Change" . Journal of Law and Economics,
- Umbeck, J. and Staten, M (1983). Compensating Stress Induced Disability: Incentive Problems. Safety in the Work Force,
- Staten, M. & Umbeck, J. (1982). "Information Costs and Incentives to Shirk: Disability Compensation of Air Traffic Controllers" . American Economic Review,
- Chatfield, R. & Umbeck, J. (1982). "Information Costs, Risk, and Creditors' Remedies" . Journal of Money Credit and Banking,
- Umbeck, J. (1981). "Might Makes Rights: A Theory of the Formation and Initial Distribution of Property Rights," . Economic Inquiry,
- Umbeck, J. (1980). "Shipping the Good Apples Out: Some Ambiguities in the Interpretation of Fixed Charge," . Journal of Political Economy,
- Umbeck, J. (1979). "The Welfare Effects of Sales Maximization: A Methodological Critique," . Economic Inquiry,
- Umbeck, J. (1977). A Theory of Contract Choice," . Journal of Law and Economics,
- John Umbeck (1977). The California Gold Rush: A Study of Emerging Property Rights. Explorations in Economic History,
- John Umbeck (2011). Self-Reliance in the California Gold Rush. Laissez Faire Books, 220 - 243.
- Umbeck, J. and Staten, M (2008). Rambonomics: The Economics of POWs. Book in Honor of Steven Cheung,
Purdue’s Krannert School of Management presented a public panel discussion sponsored by the Hugh and Judy Pence family that focused on interdisciplinary perspectives on early childhood development and a fireside chat with Nobel Laureate James Heckman as part of an Economic Ideas Forum in April that served as the inaugural event of the University’s growing economic research center.
Centered on Economics
The Purdue University Research Center in Economics (PURCE), a fast-growing initiative in need of space, will soon have a new home in the Krannert School of Management to conduct empirical research in economics focused on the role of incentives and markets in public policy.
Phone: (765) 49-44447
Office: KRAN 458
Area(s) of Expertise
Microeconomics, law and economics, economics of information, and private contracts.