Associate Professor of Economics
Marge Magner Chair
Ph.D., Economics, Oxford University
M.Phil, Economics, Oxford University
B.A. Economics and Management, Oxford University
- Clark, D., Gill, D., Prowse, V., Rush, M. (2020). Using Goals to Motivate College Students: Theory and Evidence from Field Experiments. Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 102 (4), 459 - 954.
- Gill, D., Kissova, Z., Lee, J., Prowse, V. (2019). First-place Loving and Last-place Loathing: How Rank in the Distribution of Performance Affects Effort Provision. Management Science , vol. 65 (2),
- Gill, D., Prowse, V. (2019). Measuring Costly Effort Using the Slider Task. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance, vol. 21 1-9.
- Gill, D. & Prowse, V. (2016). Cognitive Ability, Character Skills, and Learning to Play Equilibrium: A Level-k Analysis. Journal of Political Economy, vol. 124 (6), 619-1676. | Download |
- Haan, P. & Prowse, V. (2014). Longevity, Life-cycle Behavior and Pension Reform. Journal of Econometrics, vol. 173 (3), 582-601. | Download |
- Gill, D. & Prowse, V. (2014). Gender Differences and Dynamics in Competition: The Role of Luck. Quantitative Economics, vol. 5 (2), 351-376. | Download |
- Gill, D. & Prowse, V. (2013). Cheating in the Workplace: An Experimental Study of the Impact of Bonuses and Productivity. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, vol. 96 120-134. | Download |
- Gill, D. & Prowse, V. (2012). A Structural Analysis of Disappointment Aversion in a Real Effort Competition. American Economic Review, vol. 102 (1), 469-503. | Download |
- Prowse, V. (2012). Modeling Employment Dynamics with State Dependence and Unobserved Heterogeneity. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, vol. 30 (2), 411-431. | Download |
- Haan, P. & Prowse, V. (2010). A Structural Approach to Estimating the Effect of Taxation on the Labor Market Dynamics of Older Workers. Econometrics Journal, (13), 3. | Download |
- Prowse, V. (2009). Estimating Labour Supply Elasticities Under Rationing: A Structural Model of Time Allocation Behaviour. Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 41 (1), 90-112.
Balancing the need to provide an affordable, accessible education with a commitment to transforming students’ lives and preparing them for the future is an ongoing challenge in higher education. New research from economists at Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management finds that task-based goal setting can help on both fronts as a low-cost and logistically simple approach to improving students’ course performance.
- ECON 360 (Spring 2017)
- ECON 360 (Spring 2018)
- ECON 360 (Spring 2019)
- ECON 360 (Spring 2020)
- ECON 690 (Spring 2017)
- ECON 690 (Spring 2019)
- ECON 690 (Spring 2020)