Leadership (2 credits)
Taught by Kelly Schwind Wilson
Leadership is a fundamental element in many human endeavors. In organizations, the quality of leadership often decides over success and failure. Leaders shape an organization’s strategy, culture, structure, and reward systems. They exert a major influence on the motivation and behavior of employees. Generally, one can distinguish between the leadership of organizations – that is, the strategic leadership exhibited by top managers – and the leadership in organizations – that is, the leadership provided at various levels of the organizational hierarchy. In this course, we will explore the latter – that is, the leadership of people, which requires competencies that are independent of hierarchical position.
Marketing Management (3 credits)
Taught by Nicolas Kfuri
This course focuses on problems of marketing management in the modern corporation. Primary emphasis will be placed on cases of success and failure in analyzing the market and formulating strategic marketing decisions, as well as their implementation thru the use of tactical marketing tools. Given the location where the course will be delivered, some cases will be related specifically to Latin America.
The goals of the present course are the following:
- Familiarize students with common issues facing Marketing managers of a wide array of industries;
- Develop in students the necessary skills and capabilities to analyze a marketing problem through the customer's point of you, firm's objectives, strategies, strengths and weaknesses;
- Improve the student's decision making ability as regards to marketing problems;
- Help building up the student's critical thinking, teamwork spirit, and compromise.
Negotiations in Organizations (2 credits)
Taught by David Schoorman
This course is designed to give you a practical introduction to negotiation concepts and tactics. It is a skills class intended to inform your day-to-day work. Through a combination of methods including cases, experiential projects, discussions and lectures, this course will help you improve your ability to negotiate deals and manage employment relationships. The objectives of the course are to provide you with:
- an ability to identify the practical issues involved in any negotiation situation;
- an insight into your own strengths and weaknesses in these areas;
- an opportunity to develop skills in negotiations;
- and an increased awareness and sensitivity to the challenges of managing relationships.